Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Spiders and Needles....

Oh what a day I have had!!! The title says it all... but let me explain a little further...

So on Friday I went on another site visit. This one was up on the mountain in some fallow pineapple fields that we will be converting to a new golf course and some houses. Kris and I went out in the Pinzguaer. Here is a picture of Kris in the Pinzguaer.


I am so lucky to work in a place that is so absolutely beautiful! Here is a picture of what we were there to take pictures of.... the view from the new clubhouse in our Mauka Golf Course.



It truly is breathtaking up there and it will be a great place to sit and relax after a great round of golf. Can you tell I LOVE my job?!?! Well I do :)
Ok so now to the real story. So Friday afternoon Kris and I were up playing in the mountain and taking pictures. When we got back to the office I noticed a little bug bite on my left shoulder just above my arm pit. I didn't think much of it... I get bit by mosquitos here ALL the time.
Friday night I noticed that my arm pit, lymph node area was a little sore. By Sunday night it was HURTING. I had a hard time sleeping and it hurt to move my arm to do my hair and put clothes on. Two things that are somewhat necessary when getting ready to go out of my room or to work. So I toughed it out one more day thinking it would go away. It didn't. Not only that but the pain started moving around going lower into my body and very close to a female body part that is near and dear to my heart. I decided I needed to take care of this before I lost a bump I had become somewhat attached to.
This morning I called the doctor and described what was going on. The nurse who I was talking to asked me how quick I could get into the doctors office. I said I was on my way and off I went, panicking the whole way into town and sure that I was going to be told I had west nile virus or something equally horrible. I was seen fairly quickly by the doctor which didn't add any comfort to my already swirling mind. Oh my goodness if they are taking me in this quick, I most surely am on my deathbed!! So the nurse takes me in and does all the regular stuff. Weight (ICK!) Height, blood pressure and so on. Then she takes me into the exam room and starts asking all the standard questions. Then she hits on one that made me almost pass out. "When is the last time you had a tetnus shot?" Did she just say SHOT?!?! Oh god. Oh no. "Ummmmm I'm not sure" I answer in a very small voice, hoping against hope that she thought I said something like yesterday or last year. She says ok we'll go ahead and get that taken care of for you today too. Oh crap I have to get a shot!?!?! NOOOOOOO!!
Then the doctor comes in and examines my owie and probes my armpit a bit. She tells me that I have been bitten by a spider. Probably a Cane Spider or a Brown Recluse Spider. She says that these types of spiders actually insert venom into its victim (ME!) and that is why it itches. I ask her in what I consider a very calm voice "Ummm am I going to die from this?" She laughs and tells me that no I will not die from it but that the venom is hanging around my lymph node and has inflamed it while my body trying to take care of getting rid of it. She said it can take a couple of WEEKS for this process to take place. Oh great how sexy is a red puffy armpit?!! Not a great accessory when trying to talk to cute boys. *sigh*
So THEN the nurse comes back in and jabs my arm with a needle! I think I took it pretty bravely. I mean I was laying down with my face turned in the total opposite direction of her with my hand covering my face so I didn't see even a hint of the needle. And as soon as she rubbed my arm with the alcohol swab I broke out in a sweat. But other than that, I was VERY brave.
Stupid spiders and needles. I hate them both! Just typing this blog has made my armpit hurt! Stupid spider!!

No comments: