Friday, June 1, 2007

What a week!

This has been quite a week! First off, I totally love my new apartment. My roommate John is really cool. We have barely seen each other this week because our schedules are different and I have been spending most of my time at Amy's still. I haven't gone grocery shopping so there is absolutely no food in my apartment... and even if there was I don't have any way of getting it cooked yet. All in good time!!

I'm very excited that my saint of a mother dropped my car off in Richmond today so in a month, hopefully less!, I should get my car here. That will help a TON! I feel like such a burden to be carted around. I am not used to being so dependent on other people and by this time, it is getting old. So I am extremely grateful that the end of that time of my life is on the near horizon. I will be taking over my own bills very shortly! THANK YOU MOMMY!!!!! And when my car finally gets here I will be able to drive myself around :) The people at work have been extremely nice and everyone has offered to come and pick me up and drop my off whenever I need a ride. I'm telling you, I couldn't have gotten in with a nicer group of people.

I've been doing some research on Hawaii and Maui and this is a fascinating place. There is a very rich history and I can't help but get caught up in it. A lot of people have told me that Maui is the kind of place that either welcomes you with open arms and embraces you or it kicks you in the butt and you go running home. I am so fortunate to be the former! I feel so blessed with how my life is going right now. I am at peace and content for the first time in a really long time and it feels so great. I am at the right place at the right time. Pretty exciting stuff.

Work has been going REALLY well too! I have been working on restructuring the file system and was told that I would be met with pretty heavy resistence from the Records Manager. Apparently this is something they have been trying to do for a number of years. So all week I have been reading the Records Management Manual that was written in 1977 and have been trying to get a handle on how things are done. I kinda feel like I haven't really been working because I've been just playing around in the computer and looking at stuff. But today I had a meeting with the Records Manager and told him what my first instincts were about the system and my first pass ideas on how to fix the problems. I was expecting him to be hesitant and resistant and he totally loved every single thing that I want to do! He is TOTALLY on board with my new file structure. He actually told me that he is SO glad that I am there and taking care of this issue! It was a great day!!

I also went to an Engagement Party tonight for one of the guys in my department. It was great to hang out with the people that I work with in a social setting and see how they all interact. Again, I don't think I could have gotten in with a better group of people. Everyone is so nice here! I am just loving it to bits!!

Tomorrow I'm planning on hanging out at my apartment and get things cleaned up. I'm hoping to reorganize the kitchen and get it all set up so I can start cooking again and maybe even eating at home every once in a while!!

No comments: