Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What a way to start the day!

So I don't usually have all that much to say on a daily basis. Most people don't seem to realize that although I live in Maui it's kinda the same as it was back in Sacramento. I get up and go to work, sometimes I do stuff after work and sometimes I don't, go home and hang out with my roommate, go to bed... and it all starts over the next day.

But today was a little different. Today was kinda special.

Last night my roommate John left for his 3 week vacation. I really have mixed feelings about this. One one hand I'm kind of excited to have my apartment to myself... on the other hand I'm a little bummed that I won't have him to hang out with for the next 3 weeks. But it's the first time he's been home since he moved here so I'm mostly just really excited for him! So I had the place to myself last night and stayed up WAY too late playing on the computer and catching up on recorded tv shows. I went to bed around 12:00.

This morning around 4:30 I woke up. Actually I woke myself up. I had a dream....

First to set the stage... I am part of a Toasmasters club here in Maui. Toastmasters is the club that helps you become more comfortable with public speaking. I am the VP of Education actually. It's a new role for me and it's still a bit overwhelming. We are having a competition next month for the whole island of Maui and today we had our club competition. Because I am the VP of Ed, it is my job to run the competition. I have never even seen a competition let alone run one! Oh and my friend Jennifer convinced me that I should do one of my speeches and compete. So here I am a lot nervous about running the competition and also nervous about giving my speech. I haven't had a lot of time in the last week to work on my speech and was getting very agitated about today. This all must have been on my mind when I went to sleep last night.

So I dreamt that I was standing in this huge auditorium with roughly 500 people (keep in mind that the competition I ran today only had about 12 people!) and I was running this competition. I was doing so well. I am killing the crowd!! They are laughing at all the right times, and they are with me! It's great!

I tell everyone that we are going to take a break and go outside. So we all walk outside (yes it's ridiculous that all 500 of us go outside but it was a dream so what can I say!?) and someone takes out a "Skip It". Suddenly it morphs into a ball on the end of a long string. We are all standing around, playing with this ball on the end of this long string. All of the sudden this ball on the end of the string morphs into a ball on a string tied to a pole... Oh Tetherball! So here we are... standing outside of this competition and we are all playing tetherball!

I am standing at one of the courts and playing with a few people. I am getting super competitive and really getting into it. Then someone on the court morphs into someone I am quite surprised to see... I am playing with all my heart. I HAVE to win this tetherball game!! I swing the ball high... I swing the ball low.... round and round the pole it goes....

I look over at my oponent and it dawns on me how improbable it is...

I am playing tetherball against Chewbacca.

Yes. Chewbacca. Of Star Wars Chewbacca.

The ridiculousness of the situation enters my consciousness and in my dream I start giggling. Pretty soon I'm laughing... then I am TOTALLY CRACKING UP!!

I was laughing SO hard that I WOKE MYSELF UP!!! Yes, that's right... I woke myself up at 4:30 in the morning... LAUGHING.

What a way to start the day!!!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

ha! you kill me! you MUST blog your dreams more often! hehe...chewbacca...excellent.

Steph! said...

I love it! I rarely remember my dreams let a lone get woken up by them... Thats funny Tina!