Thursday, February 7, 2008

Living in Maui is so Cool!

Guess what I did tonight after work?? I took Hula lessons!! One of the ladies at work teaches hula and she invited some of the ladies from the resort to join her for some hula lessons. So tonight was our first lesson. It is HARD!! There are steps that you have to learn, each called a different thing in Hawaiian, and each of those steps goes along with specific words to the song. So not only do I have to figure out how to make my feet move, I need to learn all the words to the songs! AND THEN!!! You have to put in the hand movements. The hand movements are like sign language and they go with the words. So then you have to put all those together! It was really fun, it's amazing the things you can say with your body!! Not only that but for various reasons, no one else showed up... So I got a private Hula lesson!!!

It really gives me a new appreciation for the hula dancers I have seen!!! Maybe if I get halfway decent, I'll have someone take a video and I'll post it!

Just another reason that living in Maui is so cool... I get to learn hula!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

that is really cool! i wanna take hula lessons!

Steph! said...

woo hoo...I want to learn too!!

Leslie said...

You need to post a video of you dancing!!

Tina said...

If I learn a whole dance and its any decent... I might :)