Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bravery

There are many forms of bravery. Today I did two things that I consider fairly brave.

A few weeks ago I decided to join Toastmasters. For those that don't know what that is, it is a club of sorts that helps people become better public speakers. You give a series of speeches and are evaluated by your fellow toastmaster members. The first brave thing I did today was give my very first speech. Now I am not usually shy in front of a group, and I have done my share of public speaking without freaking out. I even managed to speak at my Grandpa's Memorial Service without making a fool out of myself. But it is a little different when speaking in front of a group of strangers. I overcame my extreme nervousness this morning and gave a very heartfelt and great first speech. The evaluations came in and I was dubbed a natural public speaker by more than one person. If they even knew how nervous I was and how I was shaking inside they would know that I was not going to take up public speaking as a profession. It was very rewarding and felt good to do something that was difficult for me.

That leads me to my second brave thing I did today. I guess the accomplishment from the morning gave me a boost of self confidence. Maybe that's all I needed to do what I did this afternoon. To some, it may not be that big of a deal, but to me it was major. So there is a guy that I have been crushing on for a few weeks. I have been trying to work up the courage to ask him out. Today I did it. I walked right up to him, my insides shaking like I was one of those paint mixers at Home Depot. I made small talk for a few moments and then I just busted out and asked if he would like to go out for a drink. He took my number so I guess maybe we could potentially go out some time. The cool thing is, I am just excited that I was brave enough to do it. Even if we go out for a drink and end up being friends, I am actually pretty cool with that. Because you know what? Today I pushed myself so far outside my comfort zone. I mean we are talking WAY outside my comfort zone. And it felt good.

I wonder what cool things I can do tomorrow now that I have a bit of my bravery back?

2 comments:

Steph! said...

Yeah for Tina!!! I HATE public speaking, even though I am good at it. i am opposite from you, I do better in front of strangers than people I know. Its weird. I am thinking good luck thoughts with this boy!!

Tammy said...

you are so brave! look at all the things you are learning about yourself in maui...bravery, brilliance and hiking boots! you're awesome.